Lee R. Lambert, PMP, CEO
2009 PMI Fellow
PMI's Prof Development Provider of the Year (2007)
PMI's Distinguished Contribution Award (1995)
Not-so-Secret Tools for Efficient Productive PM (With or Without a PMO)
Learn and earn (8 PDUs) while having the most fun legally possible — Join Lee R. Lambert for his all new, all powerful educational event and see your personal efficiency and productivity increase up to 30%.
Don't Worry, Be Happy! A PM Oxymoron?
with Lee R. Lambert
8:30am - 4:30pm
8 PDUs (8 Leadership)
This workshop opens a new frontier in the field of project management learning. It is new and very unique. There is nothing else like it in the profession of PM. You’ve NEVER attended a learning event like this. The potential value add for you, your project and your organization is immeasurable!
A recent opportunity to hear Harvard's Shawn Achor speak about his book, The Happiness Advantage, and the impact it can (and has) had on thousands of individuals and businesses throughout the world sparked my imagination. This chance encounter with Achor confirmed what I have maintained throughout a very successful career: project people who have fun while they work are more productive and what they produce is of higher quality. Face it, PM isn’t brain surgery. So why is it that some professionals are outstanding and others just muddle along mired in mediocrity?
Unfortunately, over the past decade I have discovered that project management professionals are generally NOT having fun at work. It is time to change the paradigm and inspire PM professionals to respond to unrealistic schedules and often woefully inadequate budgets with a new “can do” positive attitude and a renewed commitment to practice comedian Larry the Cable Guy’s axiom of Git R Dun—while they enjoy doing it. Is it easy? NO! Is it possible? ABSOLUTELY!
The idea of capitalizing on The Happiness Advantage, while expanding the use of the tested and proven PMBOK concepts, tools, and techniques, shines a new light on the possibilities of successful delivery in today's high stress, resource poor, powerless Matrix driven project execution environment. Throughout this workshop, the concepts and components of The Happiness Advantage (The Fulcrum and the Lever; The Tetris Effect; Falling Up; The Zorro Circle; The 20 Second Rule; and Social Investment) will all be discussed in association with common PM concepts, tools and techniques.
Much like the project management process was the “glue” that held the IBM recovery of the 90s together, those professionals who master The Happiness Advantage and benefit from its associated efficiency and productivity will provide the “thread of continuity” that successfully weaves together the myriad PM tools and techniques in the challenging years ahead. Remember, PEOPLE get projects done and HAPPY people get MORE projects done! Don’t Worry. Be Happy!
1. Integrating The Happiness Advantage* into PM (*based on the Harvard Happiness Course and Shawn Achor’s International Best Selling book: The Happiness Advantage)
2. Understanding the reality of your expectations AND the Expectations of Others
3. Knowing What You Don’t Know before you knew you didn’t know it. Agility is a must
4. Developing a Strategy for making the impossible possible—most of the time
5. Plan like you mean it—even if no one else does
6. Could be Risky—Do you really want to go there?
7. Where have you been, where ARE you going? What, it changed AGAIN?
8. Knowing the difference between data and information—Can we talk?
9. Measuring the critical gap between truth and the perception of truth
10. Opening the project Window to the Future-- You can see clearly now
11. Overcoming the Hansel and Gretel effect—It’s over, move on
Upon completion of this course student should be able to:
• Smile and laugh AND work at the same time, while substantially reducing stress and increasing productivity/efficiency
• Define and clarify project and personal objectives/roles/responsibilities
• Recognize and separate project knowns and sorta knowns from mostly unknowns (uncertainty equals Risk)
• Visualize the BIG picture (strategy) and recognize how/where their work (tactical project) fits
• Prepare an accurate (realistic) plan that considers all facets of the project lifecycle
• Measure the project status and articulate what it means for the future and/or the need for change
• Sort through mountains of data to find the relevant project information for communication
• Recognize truth is a perceptual thing and the “reality” gap between two truths depends upon whose truth it is
• Understand that whatever happened in the past will continue to happen in the future unless someone does something about it—and you may be that someone.
Tools/Techniques to be covered during this workshop:
• Work Breakdown Structure
• Rolling Wave Planning/Agile Approach
• Integrated Logic/Work Flow—Critical Path Schedule
• Milestones/Objective Indicators
• Root Cause Analysis
• Data Projections/Forecasting/Trend Analysis
• Performance Measurement Baseline Management
• Record Retention/Learning Curve Archive
Students will enhance learning through completion of hands on exercises in:
• WBS Development
• Risk Evaluation/Management
• Work Flow/Critical Path
• Data Analysis/Forecasting
• People reading/Communication
Who Should Attend: PMs, Individual Contributors, Contractors, Support Staff. Anyone and Everyone who contributes to achieving project success.
PM professionals who master The Happiness Advantage and benefit from its associated efficiency and productivity will provide the “thread of continuity” that successfully weaves together the myriad PM tools and techniques. Remember, PEOPLE get projects done and HAPPY people get MORE projects done! Don’t Worry. Be Happy!
We look forward to welcoming you to our little project management family!
REGISTER 10 OR MORE TOGETHER AND RECEIVE A 10% DISCOUNT
PMI MEMBERS SAVE $100 WITH PROMO CODEWORD PROVIDED BY YOUR LOCAL CHAPTER
If you are not currently a Member of your local PMI Chapter, please visit http://www.pmi.org/Membership/Pages/Types-of-Memberships.aspx
Registration fee includes breakfast, lunch and all supporting materials.
Sign in starts at 8:00am. Workshop begins at 8:30am. A working lunch will be served and the program will end at 4.30. Please contact the club directly if you have any questions about the facility. Instructions for obtaining Certificates of Completion through our automated system will be distributed at the end of the workshop. These automated certificates will contain all of the information you will need to register your PDUs through PMI.
Lee R. Lambert, PMP, CEO
PMI Fellow (2009)
PMI Professional Development Provider of the Year (2007)
PMI Distinguished Contribution Award (1995)
Presented by: By Lee R. Lambert--one of the Thought Leaders in the profession. He is one of the Founders of the Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification credential and is known throughout the world as a “Pragmatic Evangelist”. His delivery is based on the realities of practical application of PM NOT text book theory. Over 50,000 past students from 23 countries are singing the praises of his entertaining and “to the point” delivery of what is traditionally a challenging, and potentially boring topic. Student feedback on his platform work has confirmed: He makes learning FUN!